Saturday, November 17, 2012

Catching the Bug

CATCHING THE BUG- creating ICK The Germ
by Melissa L. Nichols

I came up with a design for a figure I wanted Phil to build for me. An unusual little fellow, who came from underneath the microscope. Being a bit of a germophobe in a world of germs, I thought it would be funny to poke fun at one of my skeeves by creating a talking germ, who could give an 'insider's' perspective on germs, viruses and all the nasty things that lurk within.



Ick is a bit on the cheeky side, and often makes light of the human misery he and his fellow microbial compadres inflict upon us. In a world of antibac this and that, his humor is much understood. We fear germs of all kinds from colds, to bird flu, to a zombie virus, so there is much material to pull from.

So I conceptualized him as a cartoon character, from which Phil could pull for his design. The end result was fantastic! Below are the in process images for my new pal who makes his Texas Vents debut in our Holiday Hilarity show at the historic Crighton Theatre in Conroe, TX in December, 2012.

Ick gives us his tips for holiday hygene, and sings the "Twelve Plagues of Christmas" (and original song written by me), and advises us all to give the gift that keeps on giving, which in his case happens to be: laughter.



The rough sculpture for ICK by Philip L. Nichols, Jr.


ICK in latex, out of the mold and ready for paint.



No comments:

Post a Comment