Monday, January 16, 2012

Hatching the plan- the birth of a bird (Bosworth the Crow)

by Philip L. Nichols, Jr.


Bob Trent with Roscoe

When I was a young lad growing up in Central Illinois the big thing to do was to go to the county fair. One year at the fair a famous regional ventriloquist named Bob Trent was performing with his pal Roscoe. I went to see him taking my little pal Charlie with me. During his act he included Charlie and I. It was a great moment.  He passed on in 2000, and in his honor and for your entertainment pleasure I would like to present to you the making of Bosworth my wise cracking crow. 


I knew I wanted him to be a hard figure. I prefer using hard figures for ventriloquism. I acquired many manuals on dummy making and studied them over.

clay sculpture of Bosworth
Then I began. His head was sculpted out in Klean Klay.


Resin casting with the
working mechanisms.
A latex mold was made and a resin casting was poured up, which was mechanized for his raising eye brows, moving jaw and moving eyes.

I had Buzz at Braylu cast up a headstick and ball and socket transition neck in black resin.

His body was made of wood and covered with cardboard and fun fur. His wings are hinged and can flap for a bit of a gag.


Bosworth coming together.

I crudely carved his feet out of pine and screwed them onto his body. He is painted with acrylic paints, his mouth is lined with red felt and red neoprene craft foam. 

Feathers and black fun fur were used on his head and wings.
I use and old Mortimer Snerd straw skimmer hat with a new hat band and a size 4 vest I bought for him at Wal-Mart. 
welcoming Bosworth to the world.
Bosworth was welcomed into the world, and has been something to crow about ever since!

No comments:

Post a Comment